Sicily is a Southern area of Italy and one of many largest islands of the Mediterranean Sea. The capital metropolis is Palermo and different essential cities are Catania, Siracusa, Ragusa, Agrigento and Trapani.
When you didn’t already know, Sicily is known for its beautiful seashores (lots of which aren’t as touristy as different areas!), extremely tasty meals like arancini and cannoli and (sadly), for the mafia.
Desk of Contents
- Is Sicily Secure?
- How Secure is Sicily?
- Sicily Crime Price
- Is Sicily Secure for vacationers?
- The place to remain in Sicily
- Sicily: Journey Security Suggestions
- Finest Time to Go to Sicily
- Is Sicily Secure?
Is Sicily Secure?
Right here it’s the place one of the feared legal organizations established its roots because the starting of the XIV century.
Even when the mafia operates behind the scenes, many individuals nonetheless ask themselves: is Sicily secure?
The mafia continues to be a actuality and its operations keep on right here as in different elements of the world, however there’s no purpose why as a vacationer try to be involved about it, and usually about staying secure in Sicily.
Let’s discover out extra!
How Secure is Sicily?
Sicily is a secure area in Italy to go to and to trip in. Simply so you recognize Palermo, is not any much less secure than Milan, or, elements of Calabria for that matter.
The usually media hides information and statistics to guard the picture of cities like Milan and Turin, however southern cities should not essentially extra harmful than northern ones, simply because the mafia is extra ‘current’.
There are neighbourhoods inside cities and cities in Sicily to keep away from, particularly as a vacationer and with this text we’re going to record them.
Sicily Crime Price
In accordance with Numbeo.com, the crime fee in Palermo, the Sicilian capital metropolis, is reasonable.
The best crime fee registered is related to corruption and bribery.
In Sicily, the mafia’s involvement in political events and establishments is frequent, therefore corruption is a giant and unresolved problem.
In the case of being mugged or robbed and having your private belongings stolen out of your automobile, there’s a basic reasonable danger.
There’s additionally a reasonable excessive fee of individuals coping with medication and property crimes comparable to vandalism and theft.
As a vacationer, your most important issues might be related to getting issues within the automobile stolen and being robbed.
So long as you comply with the security suggestions under and follow areas we advocate, there’ll be no danger of hazard in Sicily for you as a customer.
Get a FREE insurance coverage quote from WorldNomads to get the precise (and well timed) assist in terms of defending your self in Sicily.
Is Sicily Secure for vacationers?
Sure, Sicily is a secure place to go to for vacationers and there’s no purpose why try to be fearful by this side throughout your vaction right here.
Solo journey in Sicily is regular
Other than taking the widespread precautions when touring there’s not rather more it is best to fear about.
For instance, maintain your private belongings at all times with you and put on baggage and cameras with the strap round your shoulder.
If visiting cities like Palermo and Catania you may need to maintain a watch out for petty thieves round probably the most touristic locations.
We extremely advocate getting a good automobile insurance coverage cowl if renting a automobile in Sicily as locals drive like loopy and don’t respect the highway guidelines.
That is widespread in massive cities greater than anyplace else. When you’re visiting villages or the countryside, there’s no danger to expertise that.
It’s price realizing that in Sicily you don’t pay tolls to entry the A18 and A20 motorways, as you do for many different motorways within the nation.
Sicily is secure for all forms of vacationers, this implies each as a solo traveler or solo feminine traveler and as a household.
When you’re a solo traveler, you may go to off-the-beaten-path points of interest, however at all times attempt to look out for different vacationers to be round you.
Exploring the area is fashionable for these touring as a bunch, however we advise hiring a automobile right here, particularly if you happen to like to maneuver at your individual tempo.
The place to remain in Sicily
There are a lot of locations to remain in Sicily and most of them are positioned near the coast.
Sicily is known for its seashores in addition to its wealthy cultural, architectural and historic heritage. Let’s now spotlight the areas to keep away from in Sicily.
Most harmful neighbourhoods in Sicily for vacationers:
- Librino, Catania – That is also called probably the most harmful and roughest neighbourhood of Italy. Right here arms and drug trafficking and homicide are occasions taking place each day.
- Quartiere Zen, Palermo – An space within the capital metropolis to keep away from for drug dealing and for being one of many poorest locations within the area.
- Quartiere Brancaccio and Ballarò – two areas to keep away from in Palermo metropolis centre.
- Villagrazia Falsomiele – positioned south of Palermo.
When you keep away from the aforementioned areas there’s no excessive danger of hazard in Sicily as a vacationer. See the record under of among the greatest areas to remain within the area and that we advocate.
The Finest Locations to Keep in Sicily
- Palermo centro in areas comparable to Borgo Vecchio, Monte di Pietà and La Kalsa, the place you’ll be near most points of interest and bus stops.
- In La Kalsa you’ll find each low-cost B&Bs and splendid 5-star motels such because the Grand lodge Piazza which is likely one of the hottest motels for guests who need a sublime keep.
- Metropolis centre of Catania in areas comparable to By way of Etnea, By way of Crociferi and Corso Italia. All these locations are near the principle points of interest and supply a variety of lodging for all sort of vacationers.
- Castellammare del Golfo, lower than an hour drive from Palermo, it’s a beautiful city dealing with the blue waters of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Cefalù, well-known seaside resort close to Palermo.
- San Vito Lo Capo, well-known for its the ocean that’s harking back to the Caribbean Sea in Jamaica with its lengthy white sandy seashores.
- Favignana, that is an island that may be reached by ferry from Trapani or Marsala. Right here it’s the place one of the stunning seashores of the Mediterranean Sea is positioned: Cala Rossa.
- Noto, a city attracting 1000’s of tourists additionally known as the Baroque capital.
- Siracusa, an amazing vacation spot for historical past lovers. The town was based in 734 BC and it was the capital of Magna Graecia.
- Ragusa, the historic metropolis centre is a UNESCO World Heritage Web site. Not removed from Ragusa you’ll find Modica (we advocate visiting).
- Taormina, it’s a famend seashore resort not removed from Catania.
See the map of Sicily under with the locations we advise in your keep:
Sicily: Journey Security Suggestions
Sicily is a secure area to go to and there’s no purpose why try to be involved about security.
Right here we share some journey security suggestions so you may get pleasure from your time right here with out enthusiastic about staying secure.
- Don’t carry valuables if attainable. Whether or not it’s the newest cellular cellular phone or jewellery, it’s best to keep away from attracting consideration. As for money cash, carry solely what you need to spend in your pocket.
- It’s essential to know just a few phrases in Italian as in Sicily you’ll meet just a few locals that may converse in English. Try this Italian Phrasebook to hold with you. It contains some Italian phrases so you may ask for instructions, or ask for assist from locals.
- Don’t pronounce the phrase ‘mafia’ out loud in public, not since you will be in peril for doing it however as a result of most Sicilian don’t need to get related to the legal group and attempt to combat the stereotype that each one Sicilian are ‘mafiosi’.
- Keep away from the neighborhoods and areas of Palermo and Catania we talked about above. Stick with the vacationer streets of town centres if you happen to don’t know a lot about Sicily and tips on how to transfer round. This doesn’t imply that going a bit off-the-beaten-track will trigger you issues.
- When you lease a automobile in Sicily, bear in mind to get a premium automobile insurance coverage that covers theft and harm induced to the automobile by a 3rd get together.
- When parking, some ‘guys’ can ask you some cash (a few euros) to park in public areas. That is your first time dealing the with mafia as these folks work for them. We recommend paying the cash. This will even keep away from getting again to the automobile to seek out it broken.
- Bear in mind to look each methods when crossing the roads.Drivers right here don’t respect the highway guidelines. Identical if you happen to’re a driver in cities like Palermo, take note of what different drivers do to keep away from accidents.
- Get a FREE journey insurance coverage quote from WorldNomads to obtain assist in terms of unexpected journey issues.
- Don’t go away valuables within the automobile to keep away from the chance to get them stolen.
- When you’ll be carrying a digicam or a bag, remember to put the digicam or bag strap round your neck.
How did we do? Now you will have some primary journey security to tricks to bear in mind in your time in Sicily or earlier than planning your trip right here.
So long as you comply with them and use your widespread sense when transferring round, you’ll be fully positive.
Finest Time to Go to Sicily
The shoulder seasons are the perfect time to go to Sicily. Which means that we advise touring to Sicily between March and Might and between September and November.
Throughout these months the climate is heat and nice (between 20 and 29 °C). You possibly can undoubtedly go to the seashore in addition to go to the historic facilities and its points of interest, not but overrun by vacationers.
It’s higher to keep away from the summer season months as most vacationers are visiting the area throughout this season and lodging costs are excessive.
It may also be very popular and temperatures can go as much as 40 °C so if you happen to’re enthusiastic about visiting locations, it gained’t be splendid to do it with this warmth.
When you’re not concerned with spending time on the seashore, then winter is an effective interval to go to locations, discover low-cost lodge charges as properly automobile rental.
Many occasions in Sicily are spiritual and we advocate visiting the area through the Festa di Sant’Agata, the Catania’s patron saint celebrations, starting of February.
Alternatively, go to Noto through the Infiorata di Noto occasion and comply with the rituals and celebrations of the Holy Week in Trapani.
Is Sicily Secure?
Now it is best to have a greater thought of how secure Sicily is.
This can be a area price visiting within the south of Italy and staying secure in Sicily shouldn’t be an issue in any respect.
Whether or not you’re touring alone, with your pals or with household… Comply with our suggestions and take the standard precautions you’d soak up another new place you go to and also you’ll have a good time on this stunning island.
Why not see our 2 weeks in Italy itinerary for concepts on the place to go subsequent?