With this 2 week Italy itinerary, you’ll be able to see Italy’s important landmarks.
The recommended street journey will mix the timeless fantastic thing about cities similar to Rome and Florence an expertise from north to south the ever-changing panorama of this nation.
The itinerary is 2 weeks lengthy (14 days) beginning with 2 days in Venice after which transferring in the direction of the south.
You’ll cease for: 1, 2 or 3 days in Bologna, Florence, Rome and Naples!
Then, to high all of it off, your Italian escape will finish with a few days of seashore and solar, sipping home made limoncello on the Amalfi Coast.
You possibly can both lease a automobile or simply take the trains (or buses on some events) to maneuver round.
All these stops talked about are very well-connected by public transport, however we’ll clarify extra over the following paragraphs.
Desk of Contents
- 2 Week Italy itinerary
- Is 2 weeks sufficient for Italy?
- Is Italy Protected?
- Planning A Journey to Italy
- Italy itinerary (14 Days)
- 2 days in Venice
- Find out how to get from different locations to Venice
- 1 day in Bologna
- Find out how to get from Venice to bologna
- 2 days in Florence
- Find out how to get from Bologna to Florence
- 2 days in Rome
- Find out how to get from Florence to Rome
- 2 days in Naples
- Find out how to get from Rome to Naples
- 3 days in Sorrento and Amalfi Coast
- Find out how to get from Naples to Sorrento
- 2 weeks in Italy Itinerary Map
- Italy Journey Suggestions
- What to Pack for Italy
- Finest time to go to Italy
- 2 Week Italy itinerary
2 Week Italy itinerary
Italy has an interesting Mediterranean vibe that neighboring international locations in Europe (and never solely in Europe) merely don’t have!
Pizza is a staple meals in Italy
This may very well be associated to the blissful geographical place of the peninsula, which made Italy a gathering level of tens of previous civilizations.
For that reason, we will get to see:
- Magnificent structure
- Palaces and church buildings throughout the nation
- A various city and pure panorama
- Probably the most genuine Italian dishes
With this 2 week Italy itinerary, we wish you to see and expertise all of it and get the possibility to breathe the ‘dolce vita’ Italian vibe while visiting among the most lovely cities of the world!
However first, it’s possible you’ll be asking your self…
Is 2 weeks sufficient for Italy?
In actuality, spending 2 weeks in Italy is a perfect size of time to have the ability to take pleasure in one of the best of some widespread and iconic spots.
You possibly can simply spend a few days in cities similar to:
- Venice (our favourite)
Then, if you happen to’re feeling adventurous, you may even add some extra off-the-beaten-path stops like Bologna or Verona to your itinerary.
You possibly can simply transfer across the nation by prepare and even rent a automobile (for final freedom) as all these cities are well-connected one to the opposite.
Is Italy Protected?
Italy is a secure nation to go to and there’s no cause why you have to be involved by this facet throughout your time within the Bel Paese.
In keeping with the International Peace Index, Italy is the thirty second most secure nation on the planet.
In reality, the crime ranges are usually low with average charges in some huge cities like Naples, Reggio Calabria, Palermo and Catania in Sicily, the place the crime episodes occur in confines areas or neighbourhoods.
Are you able to expertise one of the best of Italy?
Planning A Journey to Italy
Earlier than we get into this itinerary learn a few of our journey suggestions beneath that will help you with planning your journey.
- You will get round Italy by prepare as there are good prepare connections from main cities like Rome, Florence, Naples, Venice, and Milan.
- You’ll discover renting a automobile in Italy is efficient for attending to secluded cities and villages however you’ll be able to all the time seek the advice of the Trenitalia web site for timetables and connections between cities earlier than you allow.
- Verify the sights web sites included on this 2 weeks in Italy itinerary. Not solely to make sure they’re open the times you’re planning to go to them but additionally for museum cross offers that help you entry extra monuments and websites and avoid wasting cash.
- A 24h ticket for Colosseum, Roman Discussion board, and Palatine can value 16,00euro in Rome or the Museum Move in Venice to get entry to the Doge’s Palace and 10 extra museums scattered across the lagoon metropolis with 6 months validity prices 36,00euro.
- One insider tip is don’t cease for a meal on the principle touristic streets of those cities. The standard of meals is all the time not one of the best, and by exploring a couple of meters away from the principle landmarks, you’ll be able to have a extra genuine gastronomic expertise!
- Should you really feel snug asking locals for solutions, go for it! If not, you’ll be able to learn TripAdvisor opinions earlier than making your resolution.
- Alternatively, you’ll be able to be part of a small group tour like with this Naples: Avenue Meals Tour with Native Information the place you’ll be able to mix a strolling tour of town with a meals tasting expertise led by an area professional.
- Until you actually wish to be in Italy for a festivity or huge occasion, keep away from the weeks when these are occurring as a result of the flight prices might be greater (in addition to the lodging).
- E book your keep in Italy no less than 2 months earlier than leaving to get higher offers in your lodging and trains. We advise reserving trains tickets that permit modifications and cancellations.
- We advocate carrying a Pacsafe (or an equal backpack) when exploring Italy to assist conceal any valuables it’s possible you’ll wish to carry.
Italy itinerary (14 Days)
Now, with out additional ado, let’s get into this 2 weeks Italy itinerary!
2 days in Venice
Is there a greater place to begin your 2 weeks in Italy than Venice?
Venice is understood for its distinctive place on the Venetian lagoon, within the Adriatic Sea, and for being constructed on a whole bunch of small islands, linked by fascinating bridges.
It’s widespread to get round by foot however you’ll be able to’t miss a gondola experience or take a ferry to the opposite islands of the lagoon similar to Murano and Burano.
Among the many most lovely landmarks, don’t forget to pay a go to to the S. Marco Basilica, Doge’s Palace, and S. Mark’s Sq.!
If in case you have the possibility, get to the highest of the Campanile too, to get breathtaking eye-bird views of Venice and the lagoon and to Rialto Bridge for an unforgettable sundown on the Grand Canal.
Since there are numerous spots to go to in Venice, one of many widespread spotlight excursions are a terrific exercise to tackle – you’ll be able to see town’s main highlights with pre-reserved tickets to keep away from any problem.
Venice is way more than these widespread locations although, and we invite to actually get misplaced in its slim streets and ‘piazzas’ (you can find that your GPS received’t work correctly on these streets anyway!).
It’s right here that you just’ll discover one of the best ‘bacaro’ or ‘trattoria’ and expertise correct Italian model aperitivo and a meal with contemporary and native substances!
See all of the stops in our Venice itinerary which you’ll learn right here:
- Accademia Galleries and Bridge
- St. Mark’s Sq. + Basilica + Campanile
- Doge’s Palace + Bridge of Sighs
- Grand Canal sundown view from Rialto Bridge
- Acqua Alta E book Store
- Basilica Santa Maria della Salute
- Campo San Polo
- Cannaregio District
- Jewish Ghetto
Keep at Duodo Palace, a chic historic palace close to St. Mark’s Sq. and La Fenice theatre, to take pleasure in one of the best of the San Marco neighborhood.
Find out how to get from different locations to Venice
Venice Marco Polo airport is a global airport that provides 76 flight connections inside Europe and with the remainder of the world.
There are day by day flights from London, Amsterdam, Paris, Berlin, and Frankfurt, simply to say a couple of cities in Europe.
There are weekly worldwide flights from and to Dubai, Marrakesh, Istanbul and New York Metropolis.
There are completely different choices to get from the airport to Venice. By bus with the ATVO specific bus that leaves the airport each half-hour or the ACTV bus that leaves the airport each quarter-hour (line n.5).
Each of them land in Piazzale Roma. Costlier choices embody the water bus referred to as Alilaguna and the water taxi.
See our information on easy methods to get round in Venice for extra insider suggestions!
1 day in Bologna
Bologna is the regional capital of Emilia Romagna and the primary cease of your 2 weeks in Italy itinerary.
It’s identified for its towers that you may spot throughout the historic heart.
The unimaginable porticoes had been just lately added to the UNESCO World Heritage Checklist and it’s the motherland of tortellini and bolognese sauce.
Bologna may be explored on foot and there are some sights we advise not lacking.
First, the Asinelli and Garisenda towers, the primary one is the tallest medieval tower on the planet and, you’ll be able to truly stroll to the highest.
The Maggiore Sq., the guts of town for the Bolognese folks and the 38 kilometers-long porticoes.
For a have a look at the genuine aspect of Bologna stroll across the market and small outlets of the Quadrilatero neighborhood.
Cease by Neptune’s fountain and luxuriate in a Venetian canal-style view from the small window in By way of Piella.
See all of the stops in our Bologna itinerary which you’ll learn right here:
- Bologna towers: Asinelli and Garisenda
- Piazza Maggiore
- Bologna porticoes
- Quadrilatero neighbourhood
- The Neptune’s Fountain
- Window in By way of Piella
Should you’ll to remain greater than a day in Bologna, why not keep on the Albergo Rossini 1936, located within the coronary heart of Bologna? Close to the well-known towers.
Find out how to get from Venice to bologna
From S. Lucia railway station in Venice, there are day by day trains leaving for Bologna Centrale.
Cheaper choices embody one change while for a direct prepare, simply choose the Frecciarossa ticket if shopping for the web ticket, or ask to e book a Frecciarossa prepare once you’re on the counter.
2 days in Florence
Florence is the Italian vacation spot providing the proper mixture of artwork, tradition, and meals to the guests.
The Renaissance metropolis is a must-see in your 2 weeks in Italy itinerary, and one or two days are by no means sufficient to search out out all one of the best of Florence.
The center of Florence is the architectural complicated of the Florence Cathedral, one of many largest on the planet.
Discover the in and out a part of this cathedral earlier than transferring to the Uffizi Museum. An actual museum establishment attracting guests from all around the globe for its collections.
You may as well go to this museum with a skip-the-line small group tour for a handy and informative go to that may save your treasured time.
Proceed by strolling across the lovely Duomo and Signoria Squares, and cross the Ponte Vecchio, the medieval bridge on the Arno river.
Simply to say a couple of extra landmarks you’ll be able to embody in your Florence cease, we recommend the Pitti Palace, the Boboli Gardens, the Church of Santa Maria Novella, and the Church of Santa Croce.
- Florence Cathedral
- Uffizi Museum
- Duomo and Signoria Sq.
- Ponte Vecchio
- Pitti Palace
- The Boboli Gardens
- Church of Santa Maria Novella
- Church of Santa Croce
Keep on the B&B La Terrazza Sul Duomo, (a couple of steps from the Santa Maria del Fiore Cathedral) for fabulous metropolis views from the terrace!
Find out how to get from Bologna to Florence
Bologna Centrale station and Florence S. Maria Novella are well-connected too, with tens of prepare choices all day lengthy.
For quicker connections, select Frecciarossa trains, if you wish to avoid wasting cash and also you’re not bothered about altering trains, then choose some other regional prepare choice.
2 days in Rome
Rome is the capital of Italy and should cease in your 2 weeks in Italy itinerary. Rome is known as the Everlasting metropolis and the explanation why is for its distinctive mix of historical and trendy structure.
From the Colosseum and Roman Discussion board archaeological websites to the St. Peter’s Basilica in Vatican Metropolis and the vigorous environment of Trastevere neighborhood.
These architectures will make you fall in love with Rome and much more once you strive a road meals tour with a information – an ideal strategy to cap a day full of visits on vacationer spots.
Attempt to spend no less than 3 days in Rome to have sufficient time to go to each crucial sights and lesser-known however price a go to locations.
Aside from the above-mentioned landmarks, it’s also possible to go to the Navona Sq. and the Sq. of Spain with the Spanish steps, the Trevi fountain, the Pantheon, and Individuals’s Sq..
See all of the stops in our Rome itinerary which you’ll learn right here:
- The Roman Discussion board
- Navona Sq.
- Trevi Fountain
- Sq. of Spain
- Vatican Metropolis
- Mausoleum of Hadrian
- Mouth of Reality
- Trastevere neighbourhood
- Individuals’s Sq.
- Pyramid of Caius Cestius
- The non-Catholic cemetery of Rome
- The Orange Bushes Backyard and the Small Keyhole
- The Catacombs
Dreaming of a keep near the world’s most well-known fountain? Keep at Trevi Stylish Home to remain seconds away from the highest sights in Rome.
Find out how to get from Florence to Rome
A lot of the trains leaving Florence S. Maria Novella station are arriving at Roma Termini station.
In order that’s the station to search for when checking your prepare selections. You possibly can choose Frecciarossa and Frecciargento prepare routes for direct trains.
2 days in Naples
It’s no secret that Naples is the final word pizza lover’s vacation spot!
However is that each one? We don’t assume so…
In Naples, there’s way more than pizza, rum babà, and sfogliatelle, all scrumptious meals to style no less than as soon as in life.
Spend no less than 2 days within the metropolis to admire the fantastic thing about Plebiscito Sq. and the close by Neoclassical-style S. Carlo Theatre.
You may as well stroll down the fabulous structure of the Umberto I Gallery and go to the Nationwide Archaeological Museum to get an thought of how was life within the Vesuvius space round 79 AD.
There are some fascinating corners and locations within the metropolis to not miss, first: Spaccanapoli, the road which divides Naples into two and the place you’ll discover one of the best road meals.
You should definitely take a look at Underground Naples with this guided tour, the S. Chiara monastery and cloister plus the San Severo chapel.
End considered one of your days with a romantic stroll alongside Caracciolo promenade to take pleasure in a surprising view of the Gulf of Naples.
See all of the stops in our Naples itinerary which you’ll learn right here:
- Plebiscito Sq.
- Umberto I Gallery
- Nationwide Archeological Museum
- By way of Caracciolo and Naples Lungomare
- Castel dell’Ovo
- Cappella San Severo
- Santa Chiara complicated and Majolica Cloister
- Underground Naples
- Castel Sant’Elmo
E book a keep at Le Mummarelle, to admire the Gulf of Naples out of your room (solely) 400 meters away from Piazza Plebiscito and Castel dell’Ovo.
Find out how to get from Rome to Naples
From Roma Termini there are tens of various prepare routes you’ll be able to select from.
At all times seek the advice of the Trenitalia.it web site to get probably the most handy one.
The station you’ll arrive at is known as Napoli Centrale. Once more the Frecciarossa trains are all the time the best choice but additionally the most costly one.
You will discover direct trains deciding on some Intercity prepare (IC) routes too, though the experience is likely to be one hour lengthy.
3 days in Sorrento and Amalfi Coast
This 2 week Italy itinerary consists of gorgeous seashore locations like Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast! That is the place your Italian escape will finish.
A full day tour of Sorrento, Positano and Amalfi is the proper package deal to cap off your Italian escapade with consolation and comfort.
Sorrento is a historic coastal city going through the Tyrrhenian Sea and the place the place the favored limoncello liquor comes from too.
Stroll round Piazza Tasso (it’s filled with eating places), go to the Church of San Francesco and admire a sundown over the Gulf of Naples from the Villa Comunale Park.
Sorrento can be well-connected by ferry to Capri in case you are already pondering of doing a day journey.
The final cease is the Amalfi Coast. Don’t miss a go to to Positano and Amalfi. Each wedged between excessive coastal cliffs, they provide a dramatic view over the Mediterranean Sea.
See our Sorrento and Amalfi Coast itinerary for detials on the beneath:
- Day 1 in Sorrento
- Day 2 & 3 in Amalfi Coast
The quaint city is dotted with unbiased outlets, cafés, seafood eating places, and church buildings. The very best panoramic spot in Positano is close to Le Sirenuse Lodge and in Amalfi the Belvedere Cimitero Monumentale.
Find out how to get from Naples to Sorrento
Learn our Naples to Sorrento right here. From Napoli Centrale station take the Circumvesuviana prepare to get to Sorrento station. It’s a direct prepare that takes 50 minutes (specific) or an hour and 10 minutes to get to Sorrento.
There are some fascinating stops together with the methods similar to Pompeii and Ercolano, archeological websites in addition to Meta and Vico Equense if you wish to spend a day on the seashore.
2 weeks in Italy Itinerary Map
Beneath we’ll share a map of Italy to make use of as a part of your journey planning:
Italy Journey Suggestions
See our record of journey tricks to take with you:
- All of the citys and cities we’ve got recommended above are designed so that you can have the opportunity see among the Italy’s hottest landmarks.
- Keep in mind to get your FREE journey insurance coverage quote from WorldNomads to obtain absolutely complete help in relation to unexpected journey issues.
- If you’re touring alone, make sure to ‘all the time’ carry your mobile phone together with you, in case you have one that’s. Even in case you are simply coming out of your resort to go to the principle sq..
- Try the Trenitalia web site to see how the entire prepare stations are linked if you happen to’ll be utilizing public transport.
- Try all of the superb excursions in Italy that you are able to do while exploring the stops recommended on this 2 week itinerary.
- Attempt to carry money and objects of worth with you in any respect time in a entrance or inside pocket, you’ll discover Pacsafe make some nice baggage/backpacks for touring round with valuables.
What to Pack for Italy
Should you’re questioning what to pack earlier than leaving in your 2 weeks in Italy, take a look at this record of things so as to add to your bag/baggage:
- Passport and visa – The passport is crucial doc that you need to always remember to hold with you when travelling. Should you want a visa upfront is determined by the nation the place you’re coming from, keep in mind to test properly upfront.
- European Journey adaptor – These are important to cost your cellphone and digital camera, if you happen to’re arriving from one other European nation and even outdoors of it.
- Euros – We advocate exchanging some cash earlier than leaving, they are often fairly helpful in a rustic like Italy the place it’s nonetheless widespread the usage of money.
- Italian phrase e book – This may be fairly helpful to hold with you all of the instances, if it is advisable to ask for instructions or assist in Italian.
- Worldwide driving allow – Should you’re planning to lease a automobile in Italy, and also you come from outdoors Europe, it is advisable to get a global driving allow earlier than leaving your nation.
- Eco water bottle – A refillable water bottle that may maintain your water contemporary is a good merchandise to place in your bag. There are numerous cities the place you will discover fountains with ingesting water similar to Rome or Venice!
Finest time to go to Italy
The very best time of the yr to go to Italy is between April and October to take pleasure in nice and delicate temperatures.
Keep in mind that summer season in Italy (July and August) may be highly regarded, so ideally keep away from these two months.
We advocate avoiding August greater than some other month as a result of many of the Italian (and European) individuals are on vacation.
This implies greater costs of flights, trains, lodging, and typically busier streets and sights.
The cities may be visited all yr spherical however keep away from cities within the north of Italy throughout wintertime if you happen to’re in search of delicate temperatures.
Right here, winter may be fairly chilly, with a better probability of rain and foggy days. Keep away from visiting Venice through the months of November and December due to the excessive tide (which may be as much as 1.5 meters).
2 Week Italy itinerary
Now you need to have a strong thought of easy methods to spend 2 weeks in Italy and get absolutely acquainted with this lovely nation.
Received a while to be taught extra about Italy earlier than you embark in your travels? See these books about Italy that ought to provide you with a deeper perception into the tradition and customs of life in Italy.